Free Geek Toronto and NewMakeIt, with financial support from York Region, are partnering to collect all the unwanted computer-related items you have collecting dust in your drawers, garages, and closets. We’ll be wiping the data, replacing components, and installing an open-source operating system to get the most out of unwanted technology.
We can accept items in working and non-working condition. Computer-related items include:
- Laptop & Desktops Computers
- Mobile Phone & Tablets
- Any and all Cables/Cords (e.g. Ethernet, Power, DisplayPort/HDMI/VGA, etc.)
- Computer Accessories – Keyboards, Mice, Webcams, Microphones, Speakers
- Internal Components – Graphic Cards, Wi-Fi/Network Cards, RAM & Hard Drives
Please note that we can’t accept printers or printer/scanner combo units.
Sundays from 10 AM to 2 PM on
- March 13, 20, and 27
- April 3, 10, and 24 (Closed Easter Sunday)
- May 1, 15 and May 29 (Closed Mother’s Day and Victoria Day long weekend)
As the majority of electronic waste goes to a landfill, tossing your old equipment in the garbage can seriously affect our environment—particularly because most of the components in these products are toxic.
This initiative also helps the people in your community as most items can and will be refurbished and distributed to families in need.
Data Destruction Policy
If reused, your data is destroyed using an industry-standard wiping process. Items that can’t be reused are securely stored until they can be physically destroyed during the recycling process.